Frequently Asked Questions


Q  We show movies, TV, and other audiovisual content via DVD, Blu-Ray, download, stream, over the air broadcast, cable, or satellite TV. Do we still need a license to view or show it in public?
A The content obtained in all those ways is meant for personal, private use only and is not meant for showing in public without permission from the rights holder. An Umbrella License may be needed when MPLC’s rights holders’ content is shown in public.
Q Our school already has a public performance license covering major Hollywood studios. Why do we need the Umbrella License?
A Multiple licenses are needed to ensure broad coverage for a variety of rights holders and protect against copyright infringement. Under the Umbrella License you’ll find more than 1,000 rights holders, including children’s, independent, television, special interest, international, and Spanish language producers.
Q We are a nonprofit organization. Do we still need a public performance license?
A Yes. The U.S. Copyright Act applies equally to nonprofit and for-profit organizations.
Q We rent out our facility to other groups. Can we be liable for copyright infringement?
A Yes. You may be held contributorily or vicariously liable for the copyright infringement if you have a financial interest in the activity and/or make your facility available for a public performance.
Q Does the Umbrella License cover outdoor exhibitions at our school?
A Yes. The Umbrella License may be used for unlimited indoor or outdoor exhibitions at your school. Please note that any outdoor performances should be limited to patrons and staff only.
Q How do I determine if a specific title is covered under the Umbrella License?
A If you wish to look up a specific title, there are different online sources, such as the Internet Movie Database website at Please note that these sources are not always up to date. If using, search for the title you want to screen and click on your selection. On a mobile device, scroll to the bottom of the page and click “view full site.” Then scroll down to the “company credits” section of the page. Click on “see more.” On the company credits page review the “distributors” (for movies) and “production companies” (for TV). If the distributor (for movies) or production company (for TV) is listed on the Umbrella License rights holder list, then the title is probably covered.
Q How much does the Umbrella License for public and private secular K-12 day schools cost?
A Pricing for public and private secular K-12 day schools is based on the full-time student enrollment at each school location. For pricing assistance please contact us at (800) 462-8855 or or
Q We do not charge admission to show the content. Do we still need a license?
A A license may be required regardless of whether an admission fee is charged. In fact, the Umbrella License only covers situations where admission is not charged.
Q We are not open to the general public. Do we still need a public performance license?
A Yes. Any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered, such as clubs, lodges, factories, summer camps and schools, requires a public performance license to show audiovisual content to its members or patrons.
Q What qualifies for a "face-to-face" teaching exemption?
A The “face-to-face” exemption is narrowly defined for in-class viewing of educational content that uses content as part of systemic instruction. The exemption does not cover content that is used for entertainment purposes, such as at recess or rainy-day showings.
Q What are the guidelines for promoting exhibitions under the Umbrella License?
A You may promote exhibitions inside your facility, for example, on flyers inside the building or through direct correspondence such as an email or letter. When promoting exhibitions in this manner, you may include the title, character names or rights holder name. When promoting exhibitions to the general public, limitations apply. For example, if you promote exhibitions on a website, on a social media account, or via any publicly accessible means (e.g. newspapers, billboards), you cannot use the title, character names, or rights holder name. However, it is OK to provide this information in response to a call, text, or email.
Q Does MPLC provide a one-time license option for schools?
A No. The Umbrella License is an annual license that allows for unlimited exhibitions at your school. Generally speaking, annual licensing represents the best value available and ensures year-round copyright compliance and peace of mind.
Q We want to license all the schools in our district. What is the next step?
A If you wish to license multiple locations, please contact an MPLC Licensing Representative at (800) 462-8855 or at or for pricing assistance.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.