Frequently Asked Questions

Q We show movies and TV shows that we have purchased or rented on DVD or through an online streaming service subscription. Do we still need a license to view or show it in public?
A Yes. The location requires a license regardless of who owns the content. While you may have rented, borrowed, or purchased an audiovisual program, you are only granted the right to view it for personal, private use, not to perform it in public.
Q We don’t charge admission. Do we still need a license?
A Yes. A license is required regardless of whether an admission fee is charged. In fact, the Umbrella License only covers situations where admission is not charged.
Q We're a non-profit organization. Do we still need a license?
A Yes. Under the US Copyright Act, a public performance license is required for both nonprofit and for-profit organizations.
Q How much does the Umbrella License cost?
A Pricing for public and private secular day schools is based on the full-time student enrollment at each school location. Pricing is facility based.
Q Does a preschool qualify for a "face-to-face" teaching exemption?
A No. The educational exemption is narrowly defined and applies to non-profit academic institutions that only utilize files in instruction, not when the film is used for entertainment purposes.
We want to license all the schools in our district. What is the next step?
A The Umbrella License is facility based. If you wish to license multiple locations, please contact an MPLC Licensing Representative at (800) 462-8855 or via web for pricing assistance. A Licensing Representative can walk you through the licensing process and review any applicable group discounts.
We’re not open to the general public. Do we still need a license?
A Yes. “Performances in ‘semipublic’ places such as clubs, lodges, factories, summer camps, and schools are ‘public performances’ subject to copyright control.” (Senate Report No. 94-473, p. 60)
Q We rent out our facility to other groups. Can we be liable for copyright infringement?
A Yes. The facility owner can be held vicariously liable or considered a contributory infringer.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact MPLC at (800) 462-8855 or via web.